Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mary's Corner

So tonight I drove home through the dark and the rain and the wind to arrive home at 6:00... or it would have been 6:00 if someone hadn't been driving an average of 27 mph on a 40 mph road in front of me. But it was okay because I figured God had a reason for me to go slowly, and even if I never find out what it is, it gave me a chance to study tail light patterns on the wet pavement. And then stop light patterns. That's what this is: from memory, Mary's Corner (looking south) on a dark and stormy night.I think this turned out to be a light-weight mat-board and not watercolor paper, but it worked. It's also fun to use black-- watercolorists aren't supposed to use black. But on this occasion I could come up with no better way to get the point across.

2 comments:

Caleb Maclennan said...

Watercolorists aren't supposed to use black? Who makes rules like that?

Beautifully done.

Emily said...

I looked at this not long after you posted it and today I realized that I forgot to tell you I really like it. My first thought was, "Hey I know that" not the corner by any means but the look of stoplights obscured and reflected by rain, dark and wet pavement. Definitely fun.